Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2006

On Monday, I was visiting some friends of mine until about midnight. I left their apartment and swung by Meijer to pick up some groceries. Tuesday was my office pot-luck, and I was planning on bringing 7 layer taco dip MacKenzie style (no guac, thank you very much). I get my groceries and get back out to my car and head for home. It's about quarter of midnight by now. I pull into my apartment and the song "Golden Path" is playing- a great song, from which I stole my post title.
    Anyway, my car- a blue, four door, '95 Ford Taurus- has had some exhaust problems lately. The major problem being that there are several large holes rusted through, so the exhaust 1. is loud, and 2. comes out from under the middle of the car sometimes, instead of the back, where it's supposed to.
    So, I pull in, and I notice that the exhaust seems to be blowing up and out from the right front side of the car.
    That's... unusual. After all, that means that it's blowing the entire length fo the car, and out the opposite side from the exhaust. Which seems... unlikely.
    So unlikely, in fact, that I begin to get concerned. I turn the radio off, and notice "Huh... the motor sounds... different. It's kind of ticking." A sense of dread began to creep up, then, and it occured to me that maybe, just maybe that wasn't exhaust so much as, say, smoke.
    I quickly shut the car off, and pop the hood. I open the door and find myself facing a pretty significant stench. That's definitely not the smell of exhaust.
    "Huh. That's unusual" I think to myself. By "unusual" I mean "awful in a way that I don't even want to begin to think about."
    I walk around to the front of the car and grab the hood and start to open it, when I notice another unusual noise. Sort of like, say, fluids dripping rapidly onto a hard surface.
    Not completely unlike, oh- I don't know- all of the combined fluids of my engine running through the engine block and dripping on the blacktop below.
    I bend over and look under my car, and find that, in fact, that's exactly what was happening. All of the oil, coolent, and- from the looks of it- even the washer fluid had simultaneously decided to migrate from my car to the ground. It was like mass fluid exodus.
    Now, I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to do that.
    Still, I'm nothing if not thorough. I open the hood and take a look. It's pretty obvious where the smoke is coming from at this point- there is fluid splashed all over the inside of the engine. I check the fluid levels, and, surprisingly enough, they're all gone. No oil left. No coolent left.
    Fantastic.
    It's at this point that I freak the fuck out. It's 1:00 AM, and I've just discovered that my car is pretty much completely ruined. My best guess is that I threw a rod. That happened in one of my other cars and cost me thousands of dollars. I'm not about to rebuild the engine in a piece of crap car that's got about 200k miles on it.

So, I call in to work yesterday and I realize that my only option is to buy a car.

To make a long story less long, I'm now the proud, if reluctant, owner of a brand spanking new, 2006 Honda Civic Coupe, metallic grey. It's a sharp looking car, I think.
    Quite a bit smaller than my Taurus was, but it gets about twice the miles per gallon on the expressway (40 MPG highway! Forty!). And, as long as I keep up on the required service work, I get my oil changes for free. Given that I typically have to get an oil change once a month, that's a pretty solid deal.

So.
    Yeah.

It's surprisingly easy to purchase a car, btw. I was in, picked out a car, test drove it, negotiated cost, got financed, transfered plates, got insurance, and was out in a few hours. Crazy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

Glad to hear your car waited to commit suicide after you had arrived safely home with your groceries. That could have been a much more unpleasant experience.
    Why must you have an oil change once a month? Do you drive far for work?
    • CommentAuthorSamael

Heh.
    "Do you drive far for work?"
    "Yes" might be an understatement. I'm aware that there are people who driver farther than me for work, but not many. On an average weekday, I put between a hundred and a hundred-twenty miles on my car. Fifty each way to work, plus any errands I run or any trips out I take to visit friends.

I had a car throw a rod once when I was 19. I was doing 75 up the expressway at one in the morning in the middle of January at the time. That made it a *lot* less convenient. Also, more dangerous. Coasting at 75 with no power steering, in the dark?
    Not fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2006

Sheesh! Like Spence, I'm glad your car waited until you got home before doing the technological equivalent of the Ebola virus on you. I can't imagine that much stuff going wrong all at once. In any case, congrats on the new car!

I used to think I had a long commute. 50 miles each way is pretty darn long. I had 25 miles each way back when I lived in the city. Of course, most of my time was eaten up in the city (stupid bridge), but still. How long does it take you to get to work? Is it mostly highway driving? Is the highway manageable or does it get backed up a lot?

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2006

Let me see, the actual driving distance hovers around 48.5 miles. Of that, 48 are highway miles. I live a little less than a quarter mile from the expressway, and the parking lot is a little more than a quarter mile from the expressway at work, so that part is easy.

It's about 35 miles up one expressway, and then two (relatively)short trips up other expressways.

On an average day, it takes me about 45 minutes to get to work, and usually between 45 minutes and an hour to get home. Rain can substantially increase the drive time, depending on how heavy, and whether the roads flood at all. Last winter, the snow didn't really change much, it only added ten or fifteen minutes to the trip, which isn't bad. This year, we haven't really had any snow to speak of, except for one day, when we had a white out. That slowed traffic up a lot.
    Construction is actually the biggest problem, I've found. The DOT was repaving one of the expressways I was taking before I moved, and that added about twenty minutes to the trip. They're still not finished, but I don't take that one anymore.
    They've also, as a result of a pretty serious injury, begun doing work on every single overpass. I'm lucky, though, they've alreayd finished most of the overpasses on my trip.
    So, yeah. Most days, I'm looking at about 45 minutes to an hour. I'm pretty used to it now, so it's not that big of a deal- I just throw in a disc full of mp3s on random, and try to enjoy the time.
    Heh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2006

Wow. I, too, am glad your car didn't ebola-ify until you made home. It sounds like you have quite the commute, although it doesn't sound like it's normally too obnoxious, just lengthy. I've had jobs where it's taken me 45 minutes to an hour to do a 15-mile commute. How's the new Civic?
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2006

The New Civic is pretty cool- it's taking a bit of getting used to, of course. I mean, I'm going from a pretty good sized four-door to a pretty tiny coupe. Checking the left side when I change lanes, in particular, is kind of tough. Other than that, I'm liking it. It's much nicer inside than the Taurus was, even if I'm sitting a bit lower (which is the other thing I'm having to adjust to).

This is really nerdy, but sometimes it almost feels like I'm flying a spaceship or something- all the displays are backlit in blue, and the gauges are split level, and everything has very modern styling- sleek lines, and lots of nice flowing curves.
    Heh.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2006

Apparently the Hybrid Civic has some extra guages that tell you how your battery charge is doing (i.e. if you're building up power or losing it). People have described it as like driving a video game, or something....
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2006

I didn't think about it- I ought to have taken the Hybrid out for a test drive while I was there. I knew I didn't want one (Most of the reviews I've read have pointed out that it'd take a *lot* of driving to make up the cost difference in lower gas consumption + the lack of data on how well the electronic parts hold up and cost of upkeep), but I would have liked to have driven one.
    *sigh*
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2006

Also, since you're driving mostly on the highway, the hybrid wouldn't net you much extra. It does best in city traffic where you need to brake a lot and your car comes to complete stops (where the engine can shut off). Once you get on the highway, some of the advantages of the hybrid go away. Also, many of the things that give the hybrid good mileage have nothing to do with the electric assist system -- but things like making the car lighter and giving it thinner tires are already on your civic (which is why it gets better mileage than most cars).

~tallman