Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2006

I started writing my review of Akira. It's interesting because I actually enjoyed the film a lot more than I did when I first saw it, many years ago. I think part of that is that I was watching a crappy old vhs version of the movie, and the new version I just watched was remastered and, more importantly, retranslated, making the film a lot easier to follow (at least, that's what I think. I saw the old version around 8 years ago, so my comparison is somewhat hazy...). There are still some confusing aspects, but I think the film works much better than it did when I saw it the first time. I think I can see why people think of it as one of the definitive anime movies now, though it certainly isn't a perfect movie...

It's strange, sometimes a review flows right out of me, and sometimes I struggle. I'm really happy with my Grave of the Fireflies review and I was able to write it pretty quickly. Watership down, on the other hand, was a struggle, and I'm not totally happy with it. Akira is apparently also a little difficult for me, though I think I'm nailing it down a little better. I should be able to finish it tomorrow night...

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2006

I find writing reviews... difficult.
    Part of the problem is trying to find ways to describe things that don't rely too heavily on referencing other movies/books/whatever. It's not too difficult to talk about, say, the premise, or the arguments that a movie makes, or the philosophical problems or plot issues, but when it comes time to talk about the stylistic aspects of it, I find it can be very difficult. Plus, I'm shit with names, so it's hard for me to talk about, say, a director or an actor, because I have to constantly look up what other films that person has done, and try to remember what I thought of them.

I also find that I end up wanting to write about too many different aspects- I'm constantly fighting that urge to write a little bit about everything in the movie, or to talk about specific scenes in the movie. If you're dealing with Akira, which is, you know, a couple of decades old, it's not so bad, because I don't feel as bad spoiling something like that. The odds are good that you've either seen it already, or had it spoiled to some extent- but if you're dealing with a newer movie, you want to talk about it, but you don't want to ruin it.

So, yeah. I find it tough, too. Heh.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2006

I have trouble with a movie like Akira, where my feelings are definitely mixed. My first draft of the review came across like I hated the movie. My second draft came across like I loved it. And at that point, I made some changes, but wasn't really sure where it ended up. The idea was a sorta middle ground...

With respect to spoilers, I honestly don't think they're that bad, unless they're not called out as such. That's why I almost always have a "spoilers" disclaimer somewhere in my reviews. That's all you need... just say "spoilers in the next paragraph" and make sure you bold the word "spoilers" and you should be fine. I kinda like it when people write with spoilers... because a lot of people don't, I think it's actually pretty cool when some people do.

~tallman