Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2006

Can't wait for this thing. I ended up getting the Maingear Prelude that I mentioned in my blog post, though I purchased the monitor elsewhere. Here's what I ended up going with:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz)
    2GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT(512MB)
    Western Digital Caviar 320 GB Hard Drive
    16x dual layer DVD+- RW Drive with Lightscribe (which is cool, but totally frivolous) + 16x DVD ROM
    Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD (I had to order this elsewhere, as it was considerably cheaper)
    Windows XP SP2

Pretty much exactly what I wanted. I spent a little more than planned, but that's ok. I don't feel the need to skimp on something I'm going to use as much as I'm going to use this new computer:P I'm doubting that I'll get my computer before Christmas, which is a drag, but I'm still excited:)

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2006

Nice. I could use a new one myself but that will probably have to wait a while. Well not have to but there's other things I'm more inclined to spend money on right now. (I'm supposed to save money too, right?) Ever notice everything is expensive if you like it enough? It's now your duty to play all the hot new games and let me know which ones are awesome. Godspeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2006

Hmmm, ok, if you're going to twist my arm, I'll go out and play some games. What are the hot new games the kids are playing these days? I was going to get Oblivion and maybe a Quake/Doom game or something. FEAR looks interesting too. I think they're coming out with UT 2007 at some point, which might be interesting. I haven't played any of those games since UT99 (from what I understand, I haven't missed much).

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2006

You know... I actually don't know. I've been kinda out of the PC gaming loop lately. FEAR does look interesting. I think there's a Half-Life 2 expansion out or coming out soon. HL2 is definitely one of the best games I've played in the last few years but it's not new anymore.

I never played UT2003 but I have UT2004. It's fun but aside from the onslaught game type, there's not a lot that's different from the original UT. Onslaught games are fun though, provided the teams are balanced. There's two bases, checkpoints to take before you can destroy the enemy base's reactor, turrets you can man, and, the best part, vehicles you can fly/drive/shoot but it is really important that the teams be of about even skill-level. Playing on a team that sucks is frustrating and pointless. I really wouldn't say onslaught alone makes getting UT2004 worth it. Especially if you ever played any of the Starsiege Tribes games, which do this kind of gameplay twenty times better.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2006

See, I never played Tribes, but I'm completely hooked on UT2k4. I think that Onslaught is fantastic. I play UT2k4 on a pretty regular basis.

But, if you're going to pick up some FPS, there are others I'd pick over it.

Let me think- HL2 is definitely a must-have, imo. The story-line is very good, and the gameplay is just fantastic. As a bonus, you get Counterstrike Source, which I think is tons of fun if you're into quick rounds of multiplayer. Plus, Gary's Mod for HL2 is tons of fun to screw around with.

I'd also strongly suggest picking up Call of Duty- you can find it for about ten bucks now, and it's worth many times that. The gameplay is fantastic- seeing the war from the perspective of different factions is pretty cool. I actually haven't picked up a new PC game in a while. I should get out there and see what they have. I've been hooked on Fallout 2 again, and next up is Fallout Tactics. Heh.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2006

I've never played Tribes either, though I greatly enjoyed this annoying bastard guide. I haven't played UT2k4 either, but what I understand is that UT2k3 and UT2k4 moved away from the gameplay that made UT99 so awesome - making the game more like Quake than UT99. I most likely will be getting UT2k7, if and when it comes out.

HL2 will probably be purchased. I've never actually played any versions of counterstrike, though I remember you and rquethe berating me for not playing:P I used to play the return to castle wolfenstein multiplayer game. It only really had one great map, and it was a sorta normandy invasion style map. As the allies, you had to storm the beach, infiltrate a German base, steal some documents, then make your way to the radio to send the documents. It was an awesome level, and I would play it non-stop for hours at a time...

I played a Call of Duty game for the PS2 once, and hated the gameplay... though I only got a taste and FPS on consoles sucks.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2006

That annoying bastard guide is awesome! I played Tribes like that at times, although what I ended up finding most fun was to be ridiculously quick and obnoxious. My loadout was usually light armor, a couple guns that could get a job done in a pinch (nothing that would sap energy - I need that to hurl myself through the air like a drunken bumblebee), and off I went. The 'heroic deathmatcher' the annoying bastard guide describes wasn't my style though. I would definitely rack up the points but it was in typically irritating-to-my-foes fashion. I'd often get myself flying over main battles, crash my vehicle (if I had one) into the enemy base, usually getting it destroyed in the process, and leaping around inside their base wreaking general havoc. The light armor kept me nimble enough that I could hide here and there, losing pursuers surprisingly well, and I'd pack just enough firepower to do some damage to generators and the like, but not enough to really go head-to-head with anyone without leaping around like a moron. My general motive was to make their base useless, then skip around taking cheap shots at anyone walking around or trying to repair. It's surprisingly effective but...

While I tended to end up in the top 5 in terms of points and kills, I'd always have more deaths and, by far, the most of anyone in the game. The great thing was that I could equip and launch myself over to the enemy base so quickly that guys who had killed me in the generator rooms of their own bases would be trying to hit me just down the hall 20 seconds later. Leaving mines all over the damn place was essential. It's basically a great way to play if you want people stumbling over themselves and your mines to get you. Yeah, you die a lot, but it's hilarious.

A lot of times when playing with people I actually knew, I'd take up more sensible roles. I'd be the bus driver, or whatever, and let them rack up the points, although I did usually try to get a few kills with my bus-of-choice. In a Tribes 1 game, I once pulled up in a transport just enough to kill all 5 of the guys in the enemy transport I was playing chicken with by smashing into their heads.

Anyway, Call of Duty 2 is fun, but surprisingly short. Multiplayer is a lot of fun. I know there's a Call of Duty 3 coming out for Xbox 360 and/or PS3 but I'm not sure about the PC. From what I've seen, the Call of Duty games for consoles are entirely different games from the PC versions.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2006

Yeah, Call of Duty on PC is an entirely different beast than the console versions. Not that the console verisons are *bad*, mind, but the controls just ruin it for me (trivia fact: A buddy of mine by the name of Tim actually did work on CoD for the console- he did a lot of work on the weapons in the game. If you get a chance to play, and notice the rotating ammo drum on one of the guns... that was thanks to him. =D )

I've heard that Tribes was pretty fantastic "back in the day" but I never got a chance to try it, and I've heard mixed reviews of the newer versions. I guess that's to be expected.