Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2006

Little Miss Sunshine is about a dysfunctional family trying to get the little girl, Olive, to a beauty pagent (they travel from Albequerque, NM to California).

I loved this movie. It was hilarious and sad. I found myself laughing and crying at the same time, but crying from sadness, not the laughter.

The settings are so real. The family's house, their van, the motel, hospital, and hotel where the beauty pagent is held - they're all just perfect. The family's house is especially realistic, and I appreciated that so much because that helped to show just how normal this family actually is. Most families don't have a perfect house that's perfectly clean, and most families have some dysfunction. As soon as I saw the inside of their house, I thought, "This is my family and my husband's family."

The acting is perfect. Paul Dano as Dwayne Hoover (Olive's teenage brother) was great. His way of dress and mannerisms reminded me of my brother-in-law so much.

And Greg Kinnear always seems to play these good-guy characters that you don't actually like all that much. I can't think of a movie in which he's played a character that I liked but that I couldn't really hate.

So yeah, I highly recommend this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2006

I saw it. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. It seemed like they couldn't decide whether or not to go full out drama or comedy, and thus it never really gelled with me. Still, it's better than most type movies, and I loved Steve Carell and the little girl. Towards the end of the movie when they're at the contest and that creepy host is singing at the little girls... the look Olive gives the guy is priceless. Perfect. I think part of the reason I didn't love it is that the whole indie dysfunctional family road trip genre is a little tiresome and not all that interesting to me... Definitely enjoyable, but I didn't seem to love it as much as most other people...

Also, you're right about Kinnear, though I never really noticed it that way before. He was good in The Matador, though he kinda fits that description.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2006

As far as dysfunctional family road trip movies go, I can't remember seeing any (other than Little Miss Sunshine). Nothing comes to mind at least. So I don't find the genre tiresome, but the idea of watching anymore isn't at all appealing. I always hated road trips with my family, so why would I want to watch made-up families suffer through the same crap?

But I wanted to see Little Miss Sunshine because it kept getting great reviews, and from the description I realized that the family in Little Miss Sunshine was being forced to take a road trip -- they weren't purposely going on vacation. And to me, that makes a big difference. Again, it would remind me of the vacations I had to take with my family.

Anyway, I probably loved Little Miss Sunshine because it was so true to my personal life with my parents and siblings growing up. We're about a 1000 times more dysfunctional than the Hoovers though.

The characters were so interesting and well developed. That's what I usually like most in movies and books.

The Matador is in my Netflix queue at #46. Any good?