Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2006

So here in the hallowed northeast, we have this thing called EZ Pass. It's on toll highways and allows you to pay the tolls without stopping (well, in theory - congestion is still a problem at times). You put a little thing on your windshield and you're good to go. It's hooked up to a credit card, so whenever you get down to a certain balance, they charge your credit card and build up your balance. Real easy, and it's saved me a lot of time over the years (definitely the past two weeks, which were largely spent on the NJ, NY, MA, RI turnpikes).

So I get a letter from them letting me know that my credit card is about to expire. They then proceed to list out all of the ways to update your account, and give a detailed explanation of how to do all of them. The first one is the internet. Hooray. I hop on over, log in, get to the change account info screen real easy, update all my info, then click the "Update Info" button, at which point the letter informs me that "you will receive a message indicating that 'Your changes were successfully saved'." Right. I tried it a few weeks ago, and it wouldn't work. I figured that maybe using Opera was a problem so I fired up IE for the first time in a few months. No luck. Still won't update my account. Ok, no big deal, their system is down, it'll be back up later. Right? RIGHT? Well, two weeks and two attempts later, it's still not working.

Enough is enough, right? So I go to option two on the sheet (which is actually options 2 & 3 apparently, because whoever wrote this managed to somehow format the ordered list incorrectly, so "3" is about halfway through the description for 2), and call their automated phone center. All I have to do is update an expiration date, so it shouldn't be a problem. I make my way through about 7 or 8 prompts (which don't match up with the description on the letter, but no big deal, it's pretty foolproof) and finally get to the part where I update my credit card. I type in the updated info, and it says "Press 1 to confirm" which I do. Then nothing happens.

Then nothing continues to happen.

I get a little worried and press 1 again.

Nothing happens.

I press *, which is usually the "back out" button in a voice response thingy.

No dice.

Did my card update? I have no idea. All I know is that I only have $16 left on my account, so it'll have to last me. Not that I'm driving anywhere that requires a toll anytime soon, but still.

EZPass, my ass.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2006

This is a government-run thing, right? No one but the government can take something as easy as doing something like that online and make it into a huge hassle. While on the phone with the automated system, did you get the sound of hammering instruments in the back of your mind? I can't listen to one of those things without thinking of "lamc" by Tool, especially since I have on occasion actually had reason to call the LA Municipal Court's automated phone system.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2006

Yeah, government run. To be sure, if any of these methods for updating my account actually worked it would be really, really easy. It just doesn't work:P