Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2006

Finally got around to watching Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. That movie is seriously just one thing going wrong after another. Not as stylish as Oldboy, definitely slower paced, but I liked it and the ending, though pretty morbid, was pretty funny too. I did like how the main character didn't turn out to really be someone you wanted to root for, even given his circumstance, at least when it came down to him and the little girl's father. Layers of vegeance, or something like that. Oldboy had a similar thing going on but even when you find out the antagonist's reasons in Oldboy, I was still rooting for the guy who had been locked up for 15 years.

I've been on some crazy foreign film kick. Like to the point where I don't really even want to watch a movie if it's in English. Lady Vegeance is in my Netlflix queue, although I hear it doesn't have the same layered kind of situations to it. I think it was grenville on this board somewhere who said it wasn't as good as the other two either.

Last night I saw part of a show titled "Hippos: The Dark Side," which my friends and I turned on simply because of its fantastic title. Hippos are pretty mean. And hungry. Hungry hungry, you might say.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2006

Yeah, that was one of the things I liked the most about Sympathy- it's impossible to know who the title character is, because you can't help but feel sorry for both of them- they're both in situations that suck, and just keep getting worse.

That was also one of my biggest complaints about Oldboy- the key piece is so ridiculous. I mean, for *that*, he locked Oh Dai-su up for fifteen years? Killed his wife? Framed him for the murder?
    For that?
    Really?

And Oh Dai-su's reaction is to feel sorry about it?

Bah!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2006

Yes, with both Oldboy and Sympathy, I liked the way the vengeance was layered and not necessarily limited to one character. Like you say, you're not sure who mr vengeance really is...

I enjoyed both movies, but I was also a little disapointed. I think it was because I had built them up in my head as being these awesome movies that I have to see... then it took me a while to see them. I think I'd have been blown away with it if I didn't have over-high expectations.

Yeah, why does Oh Dai-su feel sorry about doing... nothing of consequence. I mean, he didn't do anything wrong. Also, what's the deal with him wanting to... be with his daughter. That's just... strange.

If you guys are interested, though, I think you'd enjoy A Bittersweet Life. I wasn't blown away by that movie either, but I'd say it's roughly on par with the Vengeance movies (though not quite as depraved or strange).

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2006 edited

I figured Oh Dai-su's breakdown at the climax was more about attempting to convince Lee Woo-jin not to have the final present box opened, triggering whatever final hypnosis trick was programmed into Oh Dai-su's daughter. Then again, that goes a little far with the tongue thing, and I would think Oh Dai-su would still try to kill Lee Woo-jin in that case. As far as him wanting to be with his daughter, I thought it seemed like a kinda "she's the only one I have left, I can't tell her the truth in all this, help me forget how really fucked up this is, hypnosis lady!" type thing. Not to say I think that would be the best course of action but it's what I assumed. I don't know, there's some real stretches in that movie, but the good parts make up for them.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2006

Yeah, about being with his daughter, that's how I saw it. They'd fallen in love with one another, and she was the only person he had left in the world. I also figured the hypnosis was an effort to make himself forget how screwed up everything was.

I didn't know this until recently, but there are people who think that the hypnosis might have been successful. Me? I thought it was painfully obivous from his face at the end that it was definitely *not* successful.