Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2006

Not in my office, mind you. It's loud as hell in here. Has been for three days. I don't know what they're doing up the hall or in the rooms above my office, but it sounds like a major construction project.
    Or a war zone. One of the two.

I'm going to Grand Rapids tonight to hand out with Hien and some of her friends. Should be fun, I hope.

I picked up a the Criterion Edition of Fear and Loathing yesterday at Gamestop for $12. What a steal!

I'm really tired right now- I got up earlier than usual so that I could leave work a little early. I'm sure I'll be glad of that by the time it's time to leave, but... in the meantime, I'm tired as all get-out.

That's all I've got, I guess. I'm too tired to make a coherent post.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Yes, quiet. Peace and quiet. Or not. Busy week. Fixed my air conditioner, which seems to be working better now. Saw a few movies from netflix:

Oldboy: Very good, but I think I had too high of expectations for the movie. I liked it, but there were some things I found absurd. I have Sympathy for Mr Vengeance at home, though, and will probably watch that this weekend.

Reanimator: I wasn't expecting much about this, but it was a lot of fun for a cheesy horror film. Not brilliant stuff, but fun horror. Plus, one of the characters looks a lot like John Kerry, which made it that much funnier.

Barry Lyndon: I've been meaning to watch this for a long, long time and finally got around to it. What a gorgeous movie. Every frame is brilliantly composed and the cinematography (supposedly using only natural lighting) is exceptional. The story is a bit of a drag. The main character is a bit of a tool and no one else is all that likeable either (at least, in the end). Still, a brilliant movie for a lot of reasons I'm only touching on here...

By the way, Netflix is much better about sending stuff out these days, so it must have just been because I had just started that the delivery was so slow. We'll see how it goes...

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael

Yeah, I can see that about Oldboy. When I saw it, it was before it was getting a lot of hype, so I actually didn't know a damn thing about it. There are definitely some questionable moments- I found a big chunk of the film's climax pretty... um... questionable?

I don't know, I found Mr. Vengeance more believable. I don't know... it's not that I necessarily think that it could really happen that way, but there are far fewer events that break my suspension of disbelief.

Reanimator is a ton of fun. Then again, I'm a fan of all things Herbert West.
    Okay. Well. Not all things, but I like Herbert West: Deanimator.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Oldboy definitely defied expectations and was surprising. It had more revelations than I was expecting, but some of them were just a little less than believable. So I'd agree with the ending being a bit questionable. But it was definitely a neat film. I'd give it *** (out of 4)

Yeah, my favorite line in reanimator is when the cat was dead and Herbert West says "What was I going to do? Leave a note: 'Cat dead, details later?'" Hehe, the way he delivered that line was classic.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2006 edited

Just saw Oldboy myself now. I'm with you guys. Definitely a good flick but there's some questionable revelations in it, especially at the end. I think the stuff I liked about it far outweighs when it felt like a stretch, so I definitely liked it, but there were times where it was asking a lot.

That fight scene with the hammer in the hallway though... that was a fucking great shot.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is in my Netflix queue, although there's a couple titles before it.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2006

I can't get enough of that fight scene. I love how he comes out of it looking half-dead and exhausted. Plus, the sound was perfect. It was definitely one of the highlights, for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2006

The hammer fight in the hallway reminded me of a side-scroller video game... and I do belive that's the highlight of the film...

~tallman