Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2006

So I finally broke down and signed up for netflix. First two movies in my queue: Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance. Does it matter which I watch first? Oldboy seems like it's got the most buzz...

I was a little hesitant to sign up for netflix because of all the horror stories, but I figure that I'm not going to be attempting 25 movies a month or something, so I should be fine. Plus, the only alternative, Blockbuster Online, has the same issues. Overall, netflix seems to have the better reputation, though again, some of the stories I've heard...

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorgrenville
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2006

I don't think it matters which one you see first. Both are great. Of the two I prefer Mr Vengeance (possibly because it has Bae (cueball) doona playing the anarchist/terrorist. The scene where she gets tortured to death is terrific. One of the things I love about Park chanwook is his attention to slightly off-skew detail. What other director would have thought of the closeup licking of the earlobes before application of the aligator clips?

There is a fight scene in Old Boy when the main protagonist takes on a gang of heavies. Its filmed from a distance and I think its the most original fight scene ever. I see Old Boy Region 2 Europe is a two disc special edition. Must buy when I get back to Europe unless it pops up in HMV in HK. My version of Mr Vengeance is the Region 2 with the subtitled director's commentary which is good, but not super revealing. The commentary track mentions a deleted scene about Bae doona's character having become the girlfriend of the deaf mute guy after she raped him. Interesting. Its not on the disc though.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2006

Bae is definitely a cutie, in a sort of edgy way.

Yeah, it doesn't really matter which one you watch. I'd probably watch Mr. Vengeance first, too. Oldboy is a much slicker, more polished film, but I think I'm with gren. I like Mr. Vengeance more. The fight scene is definitely one of the highlights of Oldboy, though. Both are good, but I've rewatched Mr. Vengeance more than Oldboy.