Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2006

I watched this movie called Following. It's an early Christopher Nolan flick. Runs just over an hour. Pretty interesting, although you can figure out the ending a little earlier than is probably best for a film like that. But I liked it. The scenes aren't presented linearly, kinda like what Nolan did with Memento, but not following an exact latest-earliest-later-earlier-late-early pattern like Memento did (so Memento ended in the middle of the story, so to speak). The end of Following is the end of the story. To compare it to something else, I suppose the non-linear scene presentation is closer to the style used in 12 Grams than Memento.

Following is about an aspiring writer who starts following people throughout their day out of boredom and loneliness. Eventually one of the people he follows confronts him about it. The guy who confronts the writer turns out to be a burgler and the two begin breaking into places together. Things get weirder from there. I don't want to spoil anything but what at first seems like an implausible coincidence eventually reveals itself to be something more sinister, although I don't know if it's really all that more plausible. Still, it's interesting. I think it's shot well. The music's good. Same style of melancholy ambient type stuff as Memento (same composer). I'd definitely say it's worth checking out.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2006

I saw this a while ago. It was just after Memento had become a big hit, so they were releasing this thing on video and for once my employer got some samples of stuff that I actually wanted to watch, Following being one of them (to give you an idea how often this happens... it's only happened once, and that was about 5 years ago). The only problem was that because it was a promotional sample, every so often, there were words scrolling on the screen saying "PROPERTY OF SUCH AND SUCH" etc... Annoying, but I got the jist of the movie.

It's almost like Nolan did this movie and was like, "You know what, this movie wasn't disorienting enough. Let's do our next movie completely backwards!" Still, like you say, decent enough and it is an intriguing idea. A few times after watching the movie, I was tempted to "follow" someone. I never actually did, but I guess I could have... Anyway, yes, decent flick and definitely worth checking out...

~tallman