Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2006

All I want to do is go up to my bedroom and watch some DVDs while laying in bed. I haven't really done this in my new house yet. I only have one TV. But my roommate has one too, and we used that for the living room (because his was slightly larger than mine). So I moved mine up to my room. I never used it though, because I didn't feel like buying another cable box and I couldn't get any channels and I didn't feel like moving one of my DVD players up there. Most of the time, I'm fine sitting on my couch waching movies. But tonight I wanted to watch stuff in my bed. Luckily, I have a nice compact PS2 sitting in my living room which I haven't been using much and which can play DVDs. Score. So I disconnected it and brought it upstairs.

I made all the necessary wiring arrangements and turned it on. Seemed to be fine. Turn on my TV and bam, the picture is limited to a two inch horizontal sliver on the screen. WTF!? I pressed every button on the damn thing, to no effect. You can see the prompts come up on screen, but everything is compressed to fit in that 2 inch horizontal strip, so it just looks like a thin line. Fudge. This means that when my roomie movies out, I probably won't have a working TV. Not to mention that I can't watch my Venture Brothers DVDs while sitting in bed. Son of a whore!

Well, I guess this thing is approaching 15-18 years in age, so I guess it's not that bad... still. It was a great TV.

Any recommendations for new TVs? I've been meaning to get one of those flat panel thingys, but they're so expensive... DLP might be the way to go.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2006

Is this going to be a long-term tv, or are you just looking to get something that'll last you a little while until either a. The price comes down on the nice flat-panels, or b. You can better afford them?

If it's just for your bedroom, I'd go with something on the lower end. Then again, I don't really watch much television, so maybe I'm not the best person to make suggestions. I will say this- those flat-screens... they're pretty nice. My parents got one of those, with the wide-screen format. Holy crap, is it nice.

It makes me jealous.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

I can afford a decent TV, and I'll need something for my living room once my roommate moves out. I'm looking at 30"-37", between $1000 and $1500. This 32" Sharp LCD TV looks pretty good, it's available in my price range, and it's gotten great reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sharp_LC_32D4U/4505-6482_7-31594719.html?tag=lst

I could go for a cheapo Westinghouse 30", but it's still $800 and... if I spend that much, I'm going to want something that will last a long time. The Sharp TV has all the appropriate HD connections, etc... while the Westinghouse TVs are HD Ready, but don't have the tuner (I don't know much about HD though, so who knows... it still seems like the Sharp one is the better deal in the long term...)
    • CommentAuthorSamael

I like Sharp. That's actually what I have now. It's a hand-me-down from my parents, but it survived my brother taking it all over the country when he was in the Navy, and my bringing out here from my parent's place.

Yeah, once you're looking in that price-range, it makes sense to spend the little extra and make sure you're getting the best product you can. Have you checked out Consumer Reports?
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

I have not checked Consumer Reports, but checking a variety of reviews on the web shows an overall positive report on this particular model. Also, their Aquos brand seems to have a pretty good reputation in general, so I think I'd be in good shape. I probably won't order until next week though, so if I get a chance, I might check out Consumer Reports...